Sunday 10 February 2013

True friendships weather distance and time!

Before I start this post I have to apologise for the poor camera quality.  I am 6 weeks away from being able to invest in a new laptop and decent digital camera and once that time arrives there will be no stopping me on the blog front! I am going to become one of those annoying people that are constantly taking pictures of everything and blogging about it! I'm hoping my new investments will help increase quality and readership on the blog and I'm excited for the times ahead!!

***********

It's been eight long years since I last caught up with one of my best friends from school.  The last time I saw him was just before my 19th birthday when I flew over to Australia for a few weeks at the end of my first year of University.  He moved back to Australia with his family when I finished 6th Form nearly 9 years ago. In fact his last night in England was for my 18th birthday party and I can still remember waving him off from Grimsby train station as he left for Manchester to catch his flight home.  At the time I remember wondering if I'd ever see him again, if our friendship would fade into a memory as we continued our life journeys on opposite sides of the world.  I was pretty determined to use our friendship as an excuse to get over to Australia and, a year later, I was able to use some money my Nanna and Granddad had very kindly put away for me to buy a flight to Perth. At the time it was a trip of a lifetime for me and I had an amazing few weeks exploring Perth and Melbourne whilst catching up on the year we had spent apart.  Since then we have both grown into adults and between us have gained nearly 4 degrees, a girlfriend and a husband,  found jobs and careers and travelled the globe between us but have never quite managed to squeeze in another visit to see each other.  Until this weekend that is when we caught up in London over a few drinks and food.

J and me 8 years ago at Cohuna Park near Perth
8 years on in Shoreditch on Friday evening


It was also a great opportunity to meet up with another two friends, Tom and Mike, and we had an amazing time catching up on each other's lives as well as reminiscing about the past.  Tom has lived in Jersey for the past few years and, with me being in Liverpool, we were never really in the same place to catch up but now Mike and I both live in London he has no excuse not to pop over from time to time for some more fun times.

Tom, me and Mike, 2 of our other friends from 6th Form. Mike, I see quite regularly but Tom and I worked out it had been nearly five years since we had last caught up! Next time we won't leave it as long. 
I have to admit I was a little nervous about meeting up with someone who I'd not seen for eight years, especially when I told my year 9 class and they started asking me questions like 'what would you do if your husband doesn't like him?' and 'what if his girlfriend has a really annoying laugh?' (?!?!?!)  However, from the minute we saw each other it was just like old times, we chatted, we laughed and equally as important, we both absolutely loved each other's other halves. We all agreed that we should not leave it so long until the next time and I am already plotting as to when we can get over to the other side for a visit.  Especially as I've discovered that Perth is only a few hours from Dubai so I am thinking a little Dubai-Perth-Sydney trip could be perfect over October half term or the Christmas holidays!  Watch this space...


The tastiest Mojito I have ever tried, I just had to share it with you!

1 comment: