Tuesday 22 January 2013

Farewell to my passport...the last remnant of my former life.

It was nearly eight years ago when I received my first adult passport and little did I know how it would accompany me on the most weird and wonderful experiences as I transitioned from a child into a fully fledged, travel loving woman.

I tentatively clutched it as I approached the passport desk at Heathrow Airport, a couple of months before my 19th birthday and carefully waited for the checkout lady to swipe it.  24 hours later on the other side, I beamed with pride as I was granted entry into Australia's homeland and received my first stamp.  The gratitude of being honoured with my first 'travel badge' was akin to a cub scout achieving his award to be sewn on his arm in recognition of passing one of the skills they can be awarded for.

I showed my passport with pride, I loved customs staff flicking through it as I hopped across Europe in subsequent years visiting Italy, Holland and Ireland as well as numerous trips to France and Spain during my time spent living and working abroad.  Furthermore, I loved the picture on my passport and never minded showing the staff my ID, proud that I had managed to take a good passport photo.  Alas, those days are gone as I will now be presenting them a face eight years older, although not necessarily wiser.

Every stamp I gained felt like a memory etched onto the page for eternity; South Africa, USA, Japan, USA, some more USA, Qatar, Fiji, USA again.  Every stamp gained was like a big tick on my memorised list of places I want to visit before I die, solid proof of my achievements in travelling far and wide.

Here are some of my favourite pictures from my adventures:
Enjoying a vino in Fiji
At the John Lennon tribute in Central Park



Visiting Ramsey Street
Getting in touch with the
South African wildlife

Enjoying the Qatari skyline

Enjoying a pint of Dom Perignon
in Vegas


Dressed as a Geisha in Kyoto

Taking in the sun at Laguna Beach,
Orange County
Posing in Prada on Rodeo Drive
At the top of Lombard Street
in San Francisco


I think there is only one thing that can cure my passport blues...and that is to book some more fabulous trips for my new one!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment